- Thrive Programs
- Chemical Health
60 East Broadway
Bloomington, MN 55425
14.0 CE Hours approved by the MN Board of Social Work
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) has evolved from the go-to treatment for borderline personality disorder to one of the most recognized and sought after therapies for a variety of difficult to treat client problems. The increasing pressure to adopt treatments that work makes DBT skills and strategies a must-have for all types of therapists. This seminar will teach you DBT from theory to application with up-to-date, accessible teaching, experiential exercises, and video examples that emphasize evidence-based practice and therapeutic factors rather than rote adherence to a manual. In two days, therapists of all levels will learn DBT essentials to integrate into their own practice, to confidently practice from a DBT orientation, and to continue their own personal development as a DBT therapist. Grounding DBT into the contextual model of therapy, author and international speaker Lane Pederson, PsyD, LP, DBTC will show participants how to customize this empirically supported treatment across settings and populations to make it work for you and your clients.
Dr. Lane Pederson is the author of three DBT books including Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Contemporary Guide for Practitioners; Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Training in Integrated Dual Disorder Settings; and the best-selling The Expanded Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Training Manual. Dr. Pederson is also the founder of Dialectical Behavior Therapy National Certification and Accreditation Association.
A real-world practitioner, Dr. Pederson owns MHS, one of the largest DBT-specialized clinical practices in the United States, which has four clinics in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. At MHS, Dr. Pederson has developed DBT programming for multiple populations and levels of care, and he has overseen the treatment of thousands of clients.
Dr. Pederson has trained over 8000 professionals in DBT in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Australia and has conducted DBT trainings in mental health, hospitalization, and chemical dependency treatment settings as well as for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Dr. Pederson is available for private trainings, and his professional website is found at www.DrLanePederson.com.
8am- Registration/Sign-in begins
8:30am- Program begins
Noon- Break (lunch on your own)
1pm- Program Resumes
4:30- Program ends
1. Learn the origins and foundations of DBT
2. Explain and practice dialectics in treatment
3. Use DBT assumptions to guide skills training and therapy
4. Learn and practice mindfulness strategies to use with clients (and yourself)
5. Effectively teach the 4 standard DBT skills modules
6. Learn supplemental DBT skills
7. Effectively integrate skills training into therapy
8. Develop skills plans for suicidal, self-injurious, addictive, and other problematic behaviors
1. Identify standard and customized DBT practices
2. Describe evidence-based practice and how it empowers therapists and clients
3. Learn how to use treatment stages, the treatment hierarchy, and other therapy structure to manage the clinical process
4. Develop fluid movement between validation and change strategies
5. Practice a multi-layered approach to validation
6. Balance validation with the most effective (and practical) methods of behavior change
7. Learn the key differences between traditional cognitive interventions and DBT-style cognitive interventions
8. Master DBT diary cards and chain (change) analysis
9. Effectively participate with consultative groups and treatment teams
10. Establish a plan for your further development as a DBT therapist